I enjoy speaking to diverse groups about end-of-life matters, from my passion about how we engage with death. Using my poetry is a favourite way of connecting.
Whether you’re wondering about a speaker for a service club, health sector or a school prize giving I am happy to discuss possibilities with you. Sending an outline of my address ahead of time is a service I am happy to provide.
Poetry: ‘A Quiet Hour’
A reflection on death, dying and funerals though my poetry, and a gentle way to touch into an area that can be challenging to think about.
Getting Familiar with Death and Dying: a weekend workshop or series of six or seven classes (currently offered through the Community Education Centre at Wellington High School – please be in touch if you have a group interested elsewhere in NZ)
By the end of the workshop/course, participants will be able to:
- reflect on Western cultural attitudes death
- name several things they’d expect to see in the natural dying process
- review the main strands of their life and what they appreciate about it
- contemplate difficult goodbyes
- decide on some ways they would like their end-of-life to be
- identify what needs completing in their own lives, and
- feel more prepared for their own death and that of others close to them
What makes for a Satisfying Funeral? a one-day workshop (currently offered through the Community Education Centre at Wellington High School – please be in touch if you have a group interested elsewhere in NZ)
By the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- think and speak more comfortably and knowledgeably about funerals
- indicate what it is that has people coming away from a funeral feeling uplifted and saying to each other “George would have loved that!”
- recognise the elements that go to make up a funeral that meets people’s needs and feels satisfying
- get involved in the funeral of a loved-one or friend
- plan their own unique and meaningful funeral, or that of someone close to them.
The Simplicity Slot
Prepared originally for radio, these 5-6 minute offerings on living simply provide great discussion openers.
Ways to live without clutter is another theme I am very happy to speak or provide workshops on.
Margaret is very professional and dedicated; she is totally reliable and takes the time to find out exactly what your requirements are before the event. She is very personable and genuinely creates a reaction of interest in those listening.
David Williams, Head of Goldsmith Management Centre, Letchworth, UK
Getting Familiar with Death and Dying workshop
Has completely changed my view on death – now have comfort.
Incredibly well thought out, delivered and inclusive. The pace was perfect – time to really absorb the theme of the class, and reflect, and respond between us.
Margaret always had time to consider our input/answers, and welcomed questions and the natural ramble we would inevitably take. She is a true expert on the subject of death and dying. What I found most valuable was Margaret’s quiet and knowledgeable presence and kindness. I would highly recommend the course to anyone. So much to gain from this supportive and friendly setting.
The book was just absolutely fantastic! Essential material to a course like this.