Why come for Couples Counselling?
- You’re in a relationship where the same issues cycle around and the same dynamics play out – and you’d like to explore what’s underneath.
- You’d like more depth and connection in your relationship.
- Nothing is ‘wrong’ but you’d value a safe space in which to talk together about some things in the presence of a third person.
- You want needs met from the other but don’t know how to go about requesting them.
- You’re becoming more aware as a person and would like that consciousness to be more apparent in your relational space.
- You’re up for learning new relationship skills.
What outcomes can you expect?
Depending on the direction your particular work takes, you can expect to:
- discuss things with your partner that have been hard to bring up
- display increased empathy as you learn to identify with your partner’s feelings
- recognise trigger points earlier and respond differently
- decide together some relationship goals, going forward
- feel more at home in your relationship, or reach clarity that it is time to end it
What I bring:
- deep listening and my full presence
- understanding and empathy
- an ability to be in the presence of difficult emotions
- open-mindedness and a non-judgemental attitude
- a capacity to see the wider situation and to wonder what might be going on in the background, or at a deeper level
- trust in the process and in your own deepest longings
- Decades of offering support, guidance, facilitation, mentoring and coaching in a variety of settings
- Presencing and mediation work in relation to conflicts between and among staff and clients in my ten years as deputy/acting director of a community centre in Porirua East
- Setting up ‘Embracing Conflict’ in a UK spiritual community where I lived for two years, using Restorative Justice techniques
- Working with couples as a professional clutter-clearer, helping them move from stalemate to hearing each other and moving forward
- Using Non-Violent Communication (NVC) techniques to explore what unmet needs might lie behind difficult emotions, and what requests the couple choose to make of each other.
- Exploring what traumas may have been carried forward from earlier generations to affect the present, through Family Constellations facilitation.
- Trainings over an eight-year period (and on-going practice in twos and threes) in presencing and subtle energy work with Stephen Busby (UK)
(link to Qualifications page)
A room at Park Road Therapies, Miramar, Wellington. This space has a peaceful, friendly ambience, and a grassy area behind it, to step outside and take time for yourself within a session.
Or we can work on Zoom
1 hr $120NZ
I am not a registered counsellor or therapist. This work came to me naturally over time. I bring a wide variety of trainings, as mentioned above, and a capacity to assist people to find their truth.
I have supervision with a psychotherapist based in the UK.